Wednesday, January 8, 2014

To learn more about the RNS go to http://www.advisory.com/Research/Technology-Insights/The-Pipeline/


Start Here About Terrific Tonya Heathco NSDF Community Service NSDF Newletter Seize The Day Radio Show Kerri’s Confidential Share Your Story NSDF Paws-4-Seizures Seizure Awareness Spotlight Community Voice NSDF Heroes Types of Seizures Seizure Disorder Advocacy Seizure Disorder Education Seizure First Aid Nutrition Jesy’s Wish In Loving Memory SUDEP Memorial Get Involved NSDF Freedom Fundraiser! Buy Seizure fg6 Awareness Key Chains Here!
For most people the month of December is about the season of giving; fg6 being with loved ones; yuletide festivities and joy. However, for me it was tremendously different. I was in the hospital for a medication cross taper; one of my medications was being gradually reduced as another, newer medication was being slowly fg6 introduced into my already copious cocktail of AEDs. I saw my epileptologist on a Monday for my usual check-up. We discussed how my seizures had increased in both frequency and intensity. That Thursday I was admitted to the hospital for nine days to change my meds. Being wired with EEG leads for a Video EEG and tethered to the wall was not exactly how I had planned to spend the holiday season but I had no choice; I always pay attention to what my epileptologists feel is in my best interest to achieve positive seizure management. I trust that my dream team of epileptologists at the NYU Comprehensive Epilepsy Center (NYU CEC) has my best interests in mind and they have never failed me.
in the hospital. I ve spent my fair share of holidays fg6 in the hospital for different tests, medication changes and surgery. I am lucky that the nurses and the doctors at NYU understand that their patients would prefer to be with their families instead of being in the hospital. During my stay at the hospital I seized the opportunity to learn more about their plan for me, asked questions about my new medication and did not wallow in self-pity. fg6 I no longer have a defeatist attitude when it comes to my health, improving my quality of life and positive seizure management. In order to achieve this I have a responsibility to listen, learn and ask the appropriate questions to help manage my epilepsy. The doctors can give you the instruction manual but it is up to us to follow it and note any changes in behavior, physiological effects i.e. depression, seizures, nausea, tachycardia, rashes, weight loss/gain, ataxia, memory problems and the list goes on! In order to understand the body s response to medication being diligent in reporting fg6 these effects is extremely important when swapping out meds. Some medications will work for you better than others so it is our obligation to inform our doctors so they know what works for you and what does not.
There was one thing different about this hospital admission. I was in for a routine Video EEG or VEEG, medication cross-taper and a surgical consult. My epileptologists had mentioned the Neuro Pace RNS (Responsive Neuro Stimulation) device that had literally been approved by the FDA a month prior to my admission. I have already had a few surgeries and still take five different AEDs, six times a day and my seizures are getting worse. They performed a three-stage craniotomy which means they resected part of my right temporal fg6 lobe, right hippocampus and right amygdala. I had two other surgeries that included a partial cranial bone resection because fg6 the bone flap failed to fuse with my surrounding skull. fg6 That only happens in about 4% of patients that undergo epilepsy fg6 surgery so please remember that just because it happened to me does not suggest it will happen to you.
To learn more about the RNS go to http://www.advisory.com/Research/Technology-Insights/The-Pipeline/2013/Will-epilepsy-patients-get-a-new-device-for-the-first-time-in-15-years OR http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/12/18/new-fda-approved-device-treats-epilepsy/
At the hospital, I was placed in the Advanced Monitoring Unit (AMU). It is a step-down nursing ward on the same floor of the NYU CEC. All pre and post-op patients are admitted to this unit so I was placed there in order to see my neurosurgeon. We spoke briefly when he visited and we decided that next year I would come to his office for a real consult. fg6 I was being put on the list for RNS surgery candidates. However, if all goes well with my new medication and my seizures fg6 are reduced than I won t need the surgery. I didn t expect him to actually say that I would be put on the list ! I thought my days of brain surgery had passed after having five but the brain is a dynamic force. Will I be scared if I need another surgery? fg6 No way. Will I do whatever is reasonably necessary in order to control my seizures? Absolutely.
So, that is how I spent the days leading fg6 right up until Christmas. I was fortunate not be in the hospital for Christmas day and discuss a working plan with my doctors and neurosurgeon that is already set in action. For some reason the thought of yet another surgery does not scare me

MORE



No comments:

Post a Comment