Monday, July 14, 2014

In commemoration of the band s enduring musical legacy, Rhino Records has just issued photim a Frank


Recent photim Posts Judas Priest Map Out ‘Redeemer of Souls’ Tour Dates July 14, 2014 Yes Premieres ‘In a World of Our Own’ Lyric Video (Watch) July 14, 2014 Metallica Star in Funny ‘SportsCenter’ Commercial (Watch) July 14, 2014 Watch Weird Al Yankovic’s New Video for His Pharrell Williams Parody ‘Tacky’ July 14, 2014 Buzz: AC/DC’s New Album Done, According to Brian Johnson July 9, 2014
Article Archives Select Month July 2014 June 2014 May 2014 April 2014 March 2014 February 2014 January 2014 December 2013 November 2013 October 2013 September 2013 August 2013 July 2013 June 2013 May 2013 April 2013 March 2013 February 2013 January 2013 December 2012 November 2012 October photim 2012 September 2012 August 2012 July 2012 June 2012 May 2012 April 2012 March 2012 February 2012 January 2012 December 2011 November 2011 October 2011 September 2011 August photim 2011 July 2011 June 2011
It s a good time to be a fan of the Four Seasons . Jersey Boys , the hugely successful Broadway play modeled on the band s career, helped the Four Seasons reclaim their indelible place in music history. And now, it s been made into a major motion picture photim directed by Clint Eastwood .
With such songs as Big Girls Don t Cry , Sherry , Working My Way Back to You , Bye Bye Baby , Beggin , Let s Hang On , Tell It To the Rain , December 1963 (Oh What a Night) , Who Loves You , the Four Seasons’ consummate brand of East Coast pop combined doo-wop and Brill Building songwriting smarts, all underpinned by the soaring vocal operatics of lead singer Frankie Valli - who sported one of the greatest falsettos in music.
In commemoration of the band s enduring musical legacy, Rhino Records has just issued photim a Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons-The Classic Albums Box , culling all 18 of the group s original photim albums. Rock Cellar photim Magazine sat down with Frankie photim Valli for a look back over five decades of music making.
Frankie Valli : When I saw it for real, acted out, it was rough on the edges and it was strange to see somebody play me. Usually they play people after they die so the person can t have anything to say about it (laughs). Having an interest in acting photim I understood that the actor would have to play it from his point of view to some degree. He would have to apply some of himself to the role or it wouldn t be real. The thing I was most concerned about was the singing.
And I was quite pleased after seeing it for the third time. I had to see it about three times before I felt comfortable with it. And when it went to Broadway and they were auditioning people, I went to all those auditions because I wanted to be sure that the integrity was there.
Frankie Valli : I think the success of the show was certainly about the fact that most people didn t know that much about us. We kept our lives very quiet. It was a period of time where we had this feeling if anybody knew that you were ever in trouble you wouldn t be able to get a record deal and radio wouldn t play you.
Frankie Valli : Yes, it did work for us without realizing it was gonna work for us. To finally come out and tell the truth about everything was important. Keep in mind that we were the kind of group that recorded in a lot of different photim bags. Most artists stayed fixed right where they were all the time. One of my favorite rock and roll groups was The Rolling Stones but they always stayed basically in the same place.
We just always sought broader than that. We thought if you were a singer you should photim be able to sing a great standard or you can sing a rock and roll song or sing a gimmick song and do it all different ways. So we were able to have a success with Frankie Valli solo, with the Four Seasons and we also had success with The Wonder Who? record ( Don t Think Twice (It s All Right) , a Bob Dylan song. I talked to Dylan about our version and he absolutely loved it.
Frankie Valli : Well, the way we did it was very campy. To take a song that seriously and do it that way puts it in a kind of camp place. I enjoyed doing it. First of all, I m probably one of the biggest Bob Dylan fans that ever lived. It was an interesting take on the song. I think Dylan will go down in history as one of America s great poets just like I think (Bruce) Springsteen will. And they were coming from two opposite places.
Franki Valli : Very early on I was doing Sherry , Big Girls Don t Cry and Walk Like A Man and I was having a lot of fun doing it and enjoying it. But I wasn t being Frankie photim Valli. I wasn t singing standards. I wasn t singing what I look at as being really great songs. I didn t want to do pop music. We made a plan right from the beginning that once The Four Seasons were launched, that I would have a shot doing solo records and it was terrific.
That s when I had the opportunity to do songs like Can t Take My Eyes Off Of You , My Eyes Adored You and Swearin To God . I never really concentrated

MORE



No comments:

Post a Comment